At Coorparoo Secondary College, extra-curricular cultural activities are designed to support the Arts curriculum and offer students further engaging and exciting opportunities to develop their practical skills. Extra-curricular programs are available to students at all year levels across the College who seek to enrich their learning through Dance, Drama, Music and Media. The specific extra-curricular activities are outlined below. For further information, please contact the Head of Department.
Dance troupes offer an extra-curricular program to students who want to further develop their dance skills and technique. Groups vary from year to year, but are generally offered in contemporary, jazz, musical theatre, ballet, tap, hip hop and cultural dance styles, and rehearsals are run after school and lunchtimes. These groups have the opportunity to perform at eisteddfods, public performances and school productions.
A variety of music ensembles are available to students throughout the year to support our instrumental and rock band programs.
The Tech Crew are a small group of dedicated students who have a real interest in learning about operating sound and lighting. The Tech Crew develops the skills necessary to set up and operate the sound and lighting at all College events, such as weekly parades, school ceremonies and sporting events. Students interested in joining the CSC Tech Crew should see the teacher in charge to register their interest. Students must be available to attend out of school hours events.
Following is a list of The Arts extra-curricular activities that students may have the opportunity to be involved in at CSC:
- Creative Generation – State Schools Onstage (CGEN) – give students, teachers and school communities the opportunity to be involved in a professionally produced, award-winning arena spectacular.
- Cabaret – A biennial event showcasing the talented musicians at CSC. It is an auditioned event featuring soloists, duos and small groups in over 30 performances.
- Musicfest – A school competition at which our choir and chamber winds often perform for adjudication.
- Arts Gala – This event showcases the talented students in The Arts classes and extra-curricular programs from all subjects including Dance, Drama, Media Arts, Music and Visual Arts.
- Arts in the Open Air – This event showcases the talented students in The Arts classes and extra-curricular programs.
- Fanfare – Instrumental Fanfare and Choral Fanfare provide an opportunity for the school community to celebrate their young musicians and choristers by encouraging and promoting musical excellence through performance.
- Musical – The College produces a musical every two years. Some recent shows include, 'The Addams Family', 'Popstars', 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Disco Inferno'.
- Dance Troupe – A number of troupes are offered in a range of styles, such as Hip Hop, Jazz, Ballet, Contemporary Dance and Musical Theatre.
- Dance Team – Competing in alternate years to the musical, we offer an opportunity for students to compete at local eisteddfods.
- Drama Troupe – Provides opportunities for students to develop their acting, devising and producing skills.
- Creative Generation Art Award – Students have the opportunity to display artwork for judging in this state-wide competition.