At Coorparoo Secondary College, extra-curricular cultural activities are designed to support the Arts curriculum and offer students further engaging and exciting opportunities to develop their practical skills. Extra-curricular programs are available to students at all year levels across the College who seek to enrich their learning through Dance, Drama, Music and Media. The specific extra-curricular activities are outlined below. For further information, please contact the Head of Department.
Dance troupes offer an extra-curricular program to students who want to further develop their dance skills and technique. Groups are offered in contemporary, jazz, musical theatre, ballet, tap, hip hop and cultural dance styles, and rehearsals are run after school and lunchtimes. These groups have the opportunity to perform at eisteddfods, public performances and school productions.
Choir is a mixed voice group (SATB) and is available to all students in Years 7-12 who have a passion and love for singing. They rehearse once a week and perform at competitions, eisteddfods, public performances and school events. Students who would like to join the choir are invited to attend the first open rehearsal in Week 2 of each year. Students wishing to join the choir after the year has commenced, should see the Head of Department for an appropriate start date.
The Tech Crew are a small group of dedicated students who have a real interest in learning about operating sound and lighting. The Tech Crew develops the skills necessary to set up and operate the sound and lighting at all College events, such as weekly parades, school ceremonies and sporting events. Students interested in joining the CSC Tech Crew should see the teacher in charge to register their interest. Students must be available to attend out of school hours events.
Chamber Winds is the extra-curricular ensemble that supports the Instrumental Music program. It is primarily for students learning an instrument through the Instrumental Program but it is open to all students at the College who already know how to play a woodwind, brass or percussion instrument. They rehearse once a week before school and develop their ensemble skills including balance and blending as well as technique and expression. The Chamber Winds perform at events including school ceremonies, public performances and competitions such as the biennial Fanfare.
Stage Band is an extra-curricular ensemble aimed at further developing the skills of our intermediate to advanced musicians, at the same time providing entertaining and energetic performances of best-loved songs from the 1950s until today. Styles include jazz, funk, blues, rock, pop and many others. The ensemble caters for vocal and instrumental soloists supported by instruments such as woodwind, brass, bass, guitar, drums and piano.
Following is a list of The Arts extra-curricular activities that students may have the opportunity to get involved in at CSC:
- Creative Generation – State Schools Onstage (CGEN) – give students, teachers and school communities the opportunity to be involved in a professionally produced, award-winning arena spectacular.
- Cabaret – A biennial event showcasing the talented musicians at CSC. It is an auditioned event featuring soloists, duos and small groups in over 30 performances.
- Musicfest – is a school competition at which our choir and chamber winds often perform for adjudication.
- Arts Gala – Held in Term 4, this event showcases the talented students in The Arts classes and extra-curricular programs from all subjects including Dance, Drama, Media Arts, Music and Visual Arts.
- Arts in the Open Air – Held in Term 2, this event showcases the talented students in The Arts classes and extra-curricular programs.
- Fanfare – Instrumental Fanfare and Choral Fanfare provide an opportunity for the school community to celebrate their young musicians and choristers by encouraging and promoting musical excellence through performance.
- Musical – the College produces a musical every two years. Some recent shows include, 'The Addams Family', 'Popstars', 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Disco Inferno'.
- Dance Troupe – a number of troupes are offered in a range of styles, such as Hip Hop, Jazz, Ballet, Contemporary Dance and Musical Theatre.
- Dance Team – Competing in alternate years to the musical, we offer an opportunity for students to compete at local eisteddfods.
- Drama Troupe – provides opportunities for students to develop their acting, devising and producing skills.
- Creative Generation Art Award – students have the opportunity to display artwork for judging in this state-wide competition.